PLANT-BASED CHOCOLATE BROWNIES by The Substantial Salad
The Substantial Salad is founded by Global Explorer, Fellow Foodie, and Art Aficionado, Nicole F. Her plant-based recipes are created with love, to nourish and inspire. Follow her every other week on the ICBRKR blog for new healthy, mouth-watering recipes.
Everyone loves brownies and even more so when they are super easy, paleo and refined sugar free! These little bites of gooey deliciousness are packed with crunchy hazelnuts and melted cacao pieces.
What you need
For 16 servings:
150g ground almonds
130g coconut flour
30g cacao/cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
50g vegan butter
40g coconut sugar
250ml almond milk
1 flax egg (1 tbsp flaxseed and 3 tbsp water)
70g cacao chocolate (broken into small pieces)
30g chopped hazelnuts
1 tbsp desiccated coconut (for decorating)
How to make
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C fan and line a square baking dish/tin with greaseproof paper. Brush the paper with a little butter
2. Place the ground almonds, coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and powder in a large mixing bowl and combine well with a wooden spoon.
3. Melt the butter in a small sauce pan and add the coconut sugar and almond milk. Stir well until everything is melted.
4. Add the liquid mixture to the brownie bowl and stir in the flax egg. Combine until you have a thick batter.
5. Fold in the cacao pieces.
6. Spread the mixture into the baking dish and smooth down with a spatula. Sprinkle with the chopped hazelnuts and press them into the mixture lightly with the spatula. Bake for 30 minutes.
7. Leave to cool for 1 hour before removing from the dish and cutting into small squares.
Like what you see? Follow The Substantial Salad on Instagram and stay tuned for more recipes every other week on the ICBRKR blog.
To view related posts, click on the relevant hashtags below: