VEGAN FRY UP ☀️🍳🍅 by The Substantial Salad
The Substantial Salad is founded by Global Explorer, Fellow Foodie, and Art Aficionado, Nicole F. Her plant-based recipes are created with love, to nourish and inspire. Follow her every other week on the ICBRKR blog for new healthy, mouth-watering recipes.
The best way to start your day! I love a good fry up and even more so when it’s plant-based and full of nutritious ingredients. Scrambled tofu, garlicky mushrooms and smoky baked beans are the key elements to this super easy breakfast plate – ready in 30 minutes! (serves 2)
What you need
For Scrambled Tofu 🥚
100g firm tofu (crumbled - I used @tofooco
1 tsp turmeric
½ tsp paprika
Salt and pepper
For Mushrooms 🍄
2 Portobello mushrooms (sliced)
1 tsp garlic powder
Fresh parsley (chopped)
For Smoky Beans 🥫
½ red onion (finely chopped)
1 clove garlic (minced)
1 tsp liquid smoke
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp red wine vinegar
½ tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp tomato paste
½ tin chopped tomatoes
½ tin haricot beans
For the rest 🥑
Vine cherry tomatoes
2 good quality vegan sausages (I used @heckveggie
2 slices rye bread
½ avocado (sliced)
How to make
Scrambled Tofu 🥚
1. In a bowl, combine the spices with olive oil and add the tofu. Season well. Heat a little oil in a large pan and fry the tofu in one half of the pan for 5 minutes until golden.
2. Meanwhile, sprinkle the mushrooms with garlic powder and salt.
3. Spread them evenly on the other half of the pan and sauté for a few minutes until all the water has evaporated. Then leave them to brown by frying them for another 2-3 minutes and turning just once. Stir in some fresh parsley.
Smoky Beans 🥫
4. Fry the onion and garlic in a little rapeseed oil until softened.
5. Next add the liquid smoke, paprika, tomato paste and apple cider vinegar and cook for a couple of minutes.
6. Add the chopped tomatoes and beans and simmer for 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
The rest 🥑
7. Add the tomatoes to the frying pan when the mushrooms are half done. Leave them on the vine.
8. Toast the rye bread and top with avocado.
9. Cook your sausages according to the instructions. (I just fry them in the same pan!)
Like what you see? Follow The Substantial Salad on Instagram and stay tuned for more recipes every other week on the ICBRKR blog.
To view related posts, click on the relevant hashtags below: